Although the development of India's ball and roller bearing industry is not quite enviable, it can be said without contradiction that India has relatively strong base for the manufacture of bearings. There are about 12 large and medium units which together turn out over 100 million bearings every year.
Almost all the units have foreign collaboration. The Indian Bearing industry makes around 500 types of bearings as against over 30,000 types of bearings being used by the Indian industry. Bulk of these are only of standard types and are used mostly in low-technology areas like fans, electric motors, water pumps, and by the automotive sector.
The current Indian bearings industry is worth Rs.3500 crore. In this, automotive segment accounts for 45 percent of the revenues, which amount to Rs 1,350 crores and the remaining 55 percent of revenues are being contributed by industrial demand. In the automotive bearings market, the organized segment manufactures cater to 50 percent of the demand. About 15 percent of the production is by the unorganized segment in India, and the remaining 35 percent of demand is fulfilled through imports. Out of the total revenues in the automotive segment, 60 percent of the revenues are contributed by the OEMs and the remaining 40 percent is by the demand from the aftermarket. There has been a growth of 15 percent in the aftermarket segment and OE demand has increased by more than 25 percent from the financial year 2005-06.
Though the demand from the aftermarket segment is increasing, the growth rate is declining compared to the year 2005 - 06. In the aftermarket, 6 percent demand is from the engineering applications segment, 5 percent from LCV segment, 4 percent from MUV segment, 8 percent from car segment, 11 percent from tractor segment, and the remaining 15 percent from automotive ancillary segment. Rest of the 50 percent demand is from the Railway sector.